Sunday, August 29, 2010

Melting Moments


Oh My! Oh My! Oh My!! It has been quite a while since I last wrote on my blog. Been busy baking for a charity sales that will be held on 31st August, this coming Tuesday. Well, my friends and I had decided to open up a stall selling a variety of bakery items. I called up to several friends and kind people asking for donations of all sorts. And guess what, there are still Unconditional Love in this world =) Love does exist after all ! ~_~

Just few days after my first attempt of cold calls and cold emails, I got good news. A friend of mine are baking hot dog buns and cream buns for us to sell. A bakery shop are going to donate all freshly baked items that are still on the shelves at the end of Monday evening, 30th August. Relatives donate monies, shops gave special discounted prices for ingredients and containers. A cousin are baking his delicious home made pizzas for sell. There are all kinds of help that we happily received. Words of encouragements are showered onto us =)

Now, let's review what we had gathered at last. I love to call it "Project 318". All in all, we had successfully gathered 4 pizzas (32slices),  20 bags of mini hot dog buns, 30 cream buns, 96 banana muffins, around 50 packets of pudding and Konyaku Jellies, 19 containers of Melting Moments, 16 containers of Kellogg's Honeyed Cornflakes cup, Cordial Drinks and more buns, cakes and muffins from the bakery shop.

I choose to bake Melting Moments for this fund raising as it is fairly easy to prepare and require simple ingredients. The main problem I faced is the timing it takes to bake in my oven. The original recipe from Happy Home Baking and Joy Of Baking web asks for 12 minutes, but it burnt in my little oven, so I have to reduce it to 8-10 minutes for the perfect Melting Moments.

If you are a Malaysian, Melting Moments' texture is similar to Kuih Momo, but this is more buttery and the sweetness depends largely from the dusting of icing sugar on the top.

Ok, enough of my mumbling (= Let me share with you the recipe I had taken from both website. I followed the recipe to the tip but I substituted unsalted butter and the baking time.

Oh, and another lovely thing about these Melting Moments is that it stored well for up to 2 weeks. I'm going to bake it again for the upcoming festive seasons! It's definitely the PERFECT giveaways for family and friends =)

Recipe for Melting Moments
 Ingredients:
A 
( Put the ingredient in a mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, cream the ingredients till pale and fluffy. Then, add vanilla essence and beat for another few seconds.)
- 175g unsalted butter, room temperature (I use salted Golden Churn butter)
- 40g icing sugar
-1/2 tsp vanilla essence

B  
(Sift flour together into a dry and clean bowl. Set aside.)
-175g plain flour
-40g corn flour

-extra icing sugar for dusting

Method:
1) Sift B over the butter mixture. ( I found that by double sifting, the dough appear smoother)
2) Gently mix the flour and butter mixture with a silicon spatula. (This prevents the flour from flying when being mix later)
3) With a hand mixer, mix the flour and butter mixture till smooth.
4) Scrap down all the dough from the mixer and sides of the bowl.
5) Cover with a cling wrap and fridge the dough till firm. (about 1 hr)
6) Preheat oven at 180degree C for 10minutes.
7) With a teaspoon, spoon mixture into a ball. ( For fancy melting moments, you can pipe it into shapes).
8) Line baking tray with parchment paper.
9) Space each ball well apart so it does not stick when bake.
10) Bake for 12 minutes or until pale golden color. (My oven takes 8 minutes)
11) Leave the baked melting moments on tray for a few minutes to firm up before transforming to wire rack to cool.
12) When cooled, sprinkle icing sugar on top. ( I use a small sifter).
* Store in airtight containers and can be kept for 2 weeks. Melting moments are fragile, so please handle them gently.*

No comments:

Post a Comment