Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Baby Necessities (Part 1)

Baby Basics

Hello!! =)

Congratulations to the readers who are pregnant and expecting a baby at home soon.

These upcoming blogs are also useful for friends or family members who are thinking of gifts to buy for your loved ones who are expecting. It is always good to buy gifts that are useful for both mummy and baby. (Trust Me, ALWAYS ask what the expecting mummy needs before buying a gift or else your gift might end up in the store room or worst still up the attic. If you are reluctant to ask, then just buy a 'safe' gift like baby clothing or toys made from safe materials for baby)...

My upcoming blogs will contain information that might be useful for first time moms like myself. But of course, this is a personal preference and everyone has different thoughts on what is needed for their baby. Oh, and another thing, I am living in Malaysia which is hot and humid all year round, so do excuse me for not sharing stuff like keeping your baby warm and similar topics, ok?! =D

Again, I wanted to emphasize that this is just a sharing of what I am using for my baby. I will also write some product reviews on my blogs.

 If you are concern about allergy and safety issues, please refer to your Pediatrician or ObGynae. 

Ok.. enough of my babbling~ Here it goes ^_^

Items My Baby Use After Bath.

  1. Fiffy Rubber Mat : I love this cooling mat both suitable for nappy change, cloth change or tummy time. However, there is a rubbery smell which will stick on baby's skin.
  2. Pureen Baby Powder : There are debates on safety issues using powder on baby as it could cause suffocation, allergy and worsen asthma condition. If you wanted to use on your baby, do buy those made from "PURE cornstarch" or if you have a higher budget, purchase Baby Powder "Liquid". This baby powder is watery based and in liquid form thus the powder would not fly around and your baby will not sniff into his lung.
  3. Sebamed Baby Series Protective Facial Cream : Ayden has dry skin and rashes and this is quite good for his skin. Though it is for face, I apply the cream on both of his thighs and belly area where it tends to get dry and spotty sometimes due to hot weather. The lipid compound and panthenol safeguard against dryness around baby's mouth from saliva. It is also very absorbent and not greasy at all. The downside of this product is it contains fragrance and might cause allergies on baby.
  4. Baby Cotton Tips : I bought 2 varieties from Guardian, Protector Baby Tips and Children Cotton Tips. I use both of these to clean the outer part of my baby's ears and nose. However, some doctors do not recommend us to 'dig' the ears or nose as it can be quite dangerous when the baby is moving around.
  5. Facial Square Cotton : I like to wet these in lukewarm water and use it to wipe my baby's face after feedings.
  6. Chicco Hair Brush (a set of two): Ayden has long spiky hair =) so I bought this brush for him. It is really soft and easy to use on baby's scalp.
  7. U - I - Oil, Sesame Oil and Anti-wind Powder : All these items are applied on his navel to prevent "tummy wind" or colic. This method is taught by my mom in law, first apply a bit sesame oil on the navel, then the powder and use the oil to massage baby's tummy area and back for warmth.  


Items Use At Nappy Change
Ayden wears cloth diapers in the daytime and disposable ones at night. Cloth diapers are breathable and is good in preventing nappy rashes and sensitive skin. Disposable ones are easier to use, less messy and more expensive. 
  1. Anakku and Pureen Cloth Napkins : I use both brand but I personally prefer Anakku cloth napkins as the material is softer.
  2. Plastic Pants : This is use together with the cloth napkin to prevent urine from leaking out and staining your bed or baby cot. It is elastic but do buy a bigger size since baby grows fast.
  3. Baby Nappy Liners : This is an insert on the cloth napkin. Urine is absorbed into napkin keeping baby nappy liner dry thus your baby will stay dry and prevent nappy rash. I personally like the thicker type and I think Tenderly and Pureen brand is good and affordable. Some brands also offer organic material.
  4. Safety Napkin Clips/ Nappy Fastener : In old days, my mom uses safety pins to fasten our cloth napkins. But due to safety reason, safety pins are not recommended nowadays. I bought both types and I prefer Nappy Fastener. It is easier to use, light in weight and elastic. 
  5. Disposable Diapers : Again, these depends on what fits the baby's bottom. I tried a few brands like Drypers, Diapex, Huggies and MamyPoko. I love both Huggies and MamyPoko. Huggies offer a better fitting on my baby's bottom and did not leave a red mark on his thighs. Meanwhile, MamyPoko is slightly wider than Huggies. Both could absorb similar amount of urine.
That's how you use the nappy fastener! It's Easy & Safe~

Items Use At Nappy Change
  1. Cotton balls : I like to wet a few of these in warm water and use it when cleaning his delicate area after passing stool. It is cheap and gentle on baby's skin.
  2. Huggies Baby Wet Wipes/ Guardian Baby Wipes : Wet Wipes are a must to clean baby's bottom after his poo poo. I prefer non-alcohol, fragrance free baby wipes. Do buy a few travel packs so you can put it in your diaper bags when you go shopping.
  3. Drapolene Cream : This is a trustworthy, money worth it nappy cream to help prevent nappy rash. Apply generously on baby's bottom after bath and at nappy change.
  4. Bepanthen Ointment : This provides faster recovery if baby's bottom area has nappy rashes or red spots. A small amount will be sufficient since it is quite oily.
Baby bathtub, Pureen non-slip mat, plastic stool, towel and handkerchief.


I use Buds Infant Head to Toe Cleanser and Johnson & Johnson Top To Toe  Wash on alternate days. Both are gentle and non-irritating on baby's skin.



I also bought Pureen Sterilising tablets, Chicco thermometer (with flexible tip and non mercury) and Tommy Tippie Nail Set for my baby.

I only use these sterilising tablets to sterilize containers and storage area for my baby. These tablets has a strong chlorine smell but are easy to use and convenient to bring when traveling.

I like my Chicco thermometer as it has a flexible tip for easier application and it only takes a few seconds for result. It has a reliable measurement of temperature.

I love the Tommy Tippie round edge nail scissor as its easy to use when cutting baby's toenails. The nail clipper is OK but I wouldn't mind one with a magnifying glass on it for easier nail cutting.






Don't forget to have a few of these cute colorful containers or adjustable drawers to store your baby's clothing, neccessities and toys.

Hope you enjoy reading this blog and find the information here useful. Do take a look at my Part 2, coming soon...

** A Child is the greatest joy, the ultimate Blessing!** 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you!
    This is a very useful information! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!I'm glad you found this useful. Hopefully, more to come :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there, can i noe where did u buy d containers / drawers? It looks practical n organized 2.

    Rgds,
    Emi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, if u live in Kuching you can buy these containers at those local furniture or plastic shop nearby Pending area.These wad bought few years back I thk nowxthey wil hv newer designs :)

    ReplyDelete