Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My Birthday

First of all, a Big Hug for myself & a Happy Happy Birthday to me =D

This year's birthday was a really special day for me because I made myself 12 birthday vanilla cupcakes with icing & decorations on them. Though I made quite a mess piping the buttercream frosting, I really had great fun doing it. I was so PROUD of myself.

Sometimes, the best present is not from others but from self so we should start giving ourselves little pressies from time to time (wink**). I am sure this little action will make life more satisfying and happy.

Now, a glimpse of the cutie cupcakes that I made =P


Well, not bad huh!~ he he, given that this is the first time I dealt with piping icing on cakes, I tend to pipe too much on one side. Another problem I faced is that I didn't cut off the dome of my cupcakes so it looks a bit pointy and less neat. I just don't want it to go to waste, so why trim it off =P

The original recipe is collected from JoyOfBaking's blog. However, I'll also share the recipe here. I just made small changes to the recipe. These cupcakes can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. Since the cupcakes itself is not too sweet, the butter icing goes really nice with the cupcakes.



The amount of batter can make 12 cupcakes & about 18 mini cupcakes. Here's the mini cupcakes version.


Recipe for Vanilla Cupcakes:

A (sift dry ingredients in a medium bowl)
(195gm) 1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

B
(113gm) 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
(130gm) 2/3 cup castor sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence (I use 1 1/2 tsp)
1 zest of a lemon (optional, I omitted this in my cupcakes)
(60ml) 1/4 cup milk

Method:
1) Preheat oven to 350degreeF (177degreeC). Line 12 muffin cups or grease muffin pans.
2) In a bowl, use an electric mixer or hand mixer to beat butter & sugar till light & fluffy.
3) Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla essence.
4) Mixer on low speed, alternately add in half flour mixture followed by milk then end with the remaining flour mixture. Beat till well blended. Scrape down sides of bowl if needed. Do not overbeat.
5) Evenly fill batter in muffin cups(about 2/3 full). Do not waste the remaining batter, you can bake some mini cupcakes with it.
6) Bake for 15-20 minutes. Test with a toothpick.
7) Remove & cool on a wire rack. Cool completely then frost with icing.

** If you want flat topped cupcakes, sliced off the dome of each cupcake with a sharp knife before frosting**

Buttercream Frosting:

Ingredients
(230gm) 2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
(113gm) 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
2 tbsp milk (I use 1 tbsp milk +  1 tbsp all purpose cream)
Food color (if desired)

Method
1) With a hand mixer, cream butter till smooth & well blended. Add in vanilla essence.
2) Mixer on low speed, gradually beat in sugar.
3) Scrape down sides of bowl.
4) Add in milk & beat on high speed till frosting is light & fluffy (about 3-4min).
5) Add in a little more milk if needed.
6) Add in food color if desired.

** I made this amount of icing and in total I used it for frosting 13 cupcakes & 100 mini cupcakes. The remaining buttercream frosting can be stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Beat till stiff peaks form before using.**

No comments:

Post a Comment