Friday, June 18, 2010

Oven Braised Lamb Shoulder with Red Wine Sauce


This is my first attempt in cooking lamb using red wine. I had used Shiraz for this recipe (as this is the only red wine I could find in my house). However, I would prefer a much lighter and sweeter red wine as the Shiraz is quite sour and dry. I also did not have any herbs available when I cook this, so I have to put more black pepper to marinade the lamb.

I would definitely make this dish again to serve with spaghetti. The sauce is just Oozing.... =)

Ingredients:
A
(Rub and mix these ingredients together. Best to marinade overnight or for at least an hour)
- Lamb Shoulder pieces ( I bought about RM 20 of lamb meat with bones)
- Olive oil ( I use Canola Vegetable Oil)
- Sea salt
- Fresh Crushed Black Pepper

B
- Garlic, 1 whole bulb
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Thyme

C
- 2 Red Onions (quartered, I used Bombay Big Red Onions)
- 2 Carrots (peeled & roughly chopped)
- 2 Sticks Celery
- Leek
- 4 Ripe Tomatoes, halved

D
- 400g tin whole tomatoes (can be substitued with 200ml tomato puree or tomato paste)
- 1/2 bottle Red Wine
- 1 cup Stock (Vegetable / Chicken / Beef)

Method:
1) Marinade overnight lamb with ingredients in A.
2) Preheat oven 200 degree C. Take out the marinade lamb to rest in room temperature.
3) Use a sharp knife to make small incisions in the lamb. Poke in B inside the meat.
4) Add all (B) ingredients to tray.
5) Put in remaining garlic & herbs.
6) Pour tinned tomatoes followed by red wine & stock.
7) Cover tray tightly with a layer of foil. (These will prevent losing the steam in the oven)
8) Put in oven, lower temperature to 170 C.
9) Braised around 2 hrs - 4 hrs (depending on the size of your lamb meat). Lamb will be soft, sticky and can easily be separated by a fork.
10) Squeeze garlic out of skin. Serve.

** To shorten cooking time, I had pan fried and browned the marinade lamb pieces before putting on the oven tray.**

No comments:

Post a Comment